Nov 8, 2007

Another Unexpected Experience

Last night marked the beginning of a new adventure. My closet has been leaking a lot lately and I have decided that probably isn't a good thing and was planning to call Rob about it, but Megan and I both got a terrible head cold and have been rather out of commission the last couple of days.

I came home last night ready to just collapse into bed, but as I climbed the steps to our front porch I noticed it was unusually dirty. My line of sight moved from the porch to the window air unit to the ceiling of the front porch. There in our ceiling was a hole. How the hole had appeared there I have no idea, but there it was. A board had broken out of the ceiling, just snapped it appeared, while another hung from the ceiling. Through the remaining boards I could see fur poking through. You can imagine the many scenarios that were going through my head as to how this scene had occurred. I continued staring up into the space and quickly decided to run upstairs to get our neighbor Joe to come take a look. I asked Joe if he had heard any loud noises or crashes and he replied he had not, but that our other neighbor upstairs had come home quite intoxicated. We walked back downstairs and proceeded to contemplate what this furry subject in our ceiling could be. After retrieving a flashlight from the Luna's, we began to poke and prod our way around (or maybe that was just Joe) to see what we could discover about the ceiling. To our great relief we discovered our fury subject was not indeed a cat (alive or dead), but rather a winter coat with a ratty fur collard. I must say that my relief at this realization may have been equal to the day that I received an extension on my senior thesis. I had no idea what I was going to do if indeed the mysterious subject in our ceiling had turned out to be alive or worse dead. As we peered into the cracks with the new relief of knowing we were staring at a coat, the coat began to move. I kid you not we stared wide eyed and gawking as someone or something moved around on top of the coat and then retreated out of the ceiling again. If not for our discovery that the object was a coat, I may have died right then and there from shock, but luckily we just stifled our laughter and began to ponder the reasons behind this "hole" mess.

Rob is supposed to be finding someone to come check it out. While on teh phone he informed me that our other upstairs neighbor lets his cats live in there and in one instance Antonio and Abe went crawling through trying to retrieve the cat only to cave in part of the Luna's bedroom roof! We may never know the full story behind our ceiling experience, but it was quite the night.

No comments: