Mar 18, 2008

Mentoring



There are a lot of young teens at God's Resort. Only one of them is a guy, the rest are girls. They are 12 years old and as we all know, that is a very hard age.

One of the goals that we had when Katie and I moved to God's Resort was to start meeting once a week to talk and hang out with the "older girls"

We started in the fall, and i can admit that I didn't do such a great job at it, Ashley and I would meet about once a month. Katie did an amazing job meeting with Dominique, they would hang out once a week, eat together and just talk. It was such an amazing experience for them.

At the beginning of this spring semester Katie called me out on my lack of commitment to meeting with Ashley. So this semester we have been able to meet once a week. We usually go to Starbucks (Ashley usually orders a mocha frapuccino, which she used to call a moco frape) and talk for about an hour.

At first we would pick a random topic, on the spot and read what the Bible had to say about it. For Valentine's day I got her a year long devotional book. This has helped a lot because we read the devotional together, and then talk about the topic. This has been great. (especially when Ashley reads real loud about purity, sex and boys and the people around us give me a knowing look)

The "younger" kids have gotten jealous of the little extra time that the older girls get. E came up to Katie and I one day and told us that she had a proposal (her words not ours). Her proposal was that since Katie and I had extra time with the older girls, we should find time to spend some extra time and do fun stuff with the younger kids; and declared herself Katie's "partner" (which is the word that the young kids use for the mentor- mentee relationship) and that I was to be the other kids. She didn't really want an immediate answer, she wanted us to think about it, and then asked us every time she saw us what we thought of her proposal.


This is the amazon link to the devotional book Ashley got. Its a simple book, but very straight foward and to the point: Designer Genes Devo Book.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Meg! I just got a link to this blog entry through Google Alerts and was so touched by what you've shared! Designer Genes is my book... and it's so exciting to hear about the girls who are reading it and being touched by it!

Thank you for all you do in the lives of young girls. What a blessing!

I should let you know that Designer Genes has a blog that I update weekly: www.designergenesdevo.wordpress.com. I hope you and Ashley will pop in one day! :)

God bless you!

Ann-Margret

Katie said...

Ashley looks so old in these photos. I cannot believe they really are at that age!