Aug 29, 2007

Panic over nothing.

A friend asked me recently how Katie and I were doing, and I told her that we were fine. She didn't believe me, and pressed the topic a little more. I told her that things are coming together, that bigger projects have gotten done, that some smaller projects are still in progress, and that we are getting some what used to living with roaches. But the one thing that worried me, and that in my mind would/could break me, was our first electric bill. Living in the apartments, our electric bill was very reasonable, but in our new house because of the size, height of the ceiling, and the fact that we run two window units constantly I didn't think our electric bill would be even close to what it was before.
Our first electric bill came yesterday, and Katie came home from work and opened it, she gave me a call. The amount she told me was almost twice as much as what we had last payed at the apartment, and it was only for like 20 days, not even the whole month. I preceded to worry and stress about how we were going to come up with the money. Once I got home from work, the first thing I did was go to the fridge and look at the bill. After stressing out about it for at least 4 hours, I really didn't want to even look at it. So as I looked it over it didn't make sense, the amount we were being charged for usage was not the same among as what we owed on the total. After looking at the bill for several minutes I was finally able to figure out that it was not just the amount for the 20 or so days we had lived at 14Th street, but also our previous bill, (which we had just payed that morning). So in reality we will only end up paying approximately $30 more than what we payed at the apartment. Now that is an amount we can deal with.
Lesson learned: don't stress over stuff you have no control over, and things aren't always as bad as they seem.

No comments: