Sep 17, 2007

Update from 14th and Pearl

So on an objective side, I figured I should write just some of the happenings and going ons down in the neighborhood.

Next Sunday evening is a big concert thrown by Calvary Baptist in our backyard! Great Day of Service for College Heights is going to end with a Block Party on our street as well in October.

We have started going to the home group at the Blue House and that has been really good so far. A lot of adults from the neighborhood come so we get to meet them. The church bought the Blue House and are now fixing the other half to make it all one big community house! One of the Sunday schools adopted some apartments and will be remodeling them. Unfortunately the remodeling of the blue house begins at aroudn 6:30 am every morning and therefore sleep is difficult in my part of the house.

The whole neighborhood seems to be on high stress mode lately. Two of the kids are verging on being out of control and I here them being reprimanded pretty much every morning now. There is something about the location of my room where I can hear almost every house on our corner if people are yelling. One of the kids is going through a rough time right now and really needs intense prayer. I was full of a lot more energy in the last week, but with some of the stuff going on, especially with the one girl, Satan has just sucked me dry emotionally and physically. This kind of goes back to Megan talking about trying to carry everyone's burdens instead of laying them at the cross, but I don't even realize I am doing it until I am just ready to collapse.

We are getting a new stove! Someone came by the other day, not even knowing ours didn't work and offered it! It's such a huge blessing and so unexpected. I honestly feel like God saw how much we wanted one, but we knew it wasn't necessary and He blessed us anyway. That's pretty cool.

I took three of the girls for a drive and we got to pet some horses which was really cool as well. They had never been around horses before and absolutely loved it.

Our hot water is back on, after a four day absence. Still no word on a heating system in our house yet, but other than that things are going pretty well.

1 comment:

Erica Stark said...

I pray for you girls. You're brave. Of course, I think it's the kind of sacrifice every Christian is called to, we just don't all respond in obedience.
Megan let me borrow These Strange Ashes. I had read it before but it was refreshing to read it again and try to read from your perspective.

I understand how you related to her story. I invite you to read the end over and over, especially during the harder times:

"For whom," asked Jesus, "did you carry the stone?"

You are being obedient in carrying the stone not for yourselves but for others who either can't or won't. God bless you both!