Jan 23, 2008

Change the world

I have been doing a lot of reading recently. One of the reasons is because Katie has been able to purchase a bunch of books on poverty and social justice.
My most recent book read from cover to cover is the book "everybody wants to change the world. practical ideas for social justice" by Tony Campolo and Gordon Aeschliman.
The books format is one that i love. very much linear and organized. Each chapter is a different area of life in which they explain the need for social justice, and then offer tangible ideas for individuals and groups to try and do.
The chapter that most got my attention was section 3. it talks about the environment. The reason i this chapter got my attention is because of the way they explain WHY! we need to care for our environment.
I will try and keep it short on my quoting from books.

" All of Creation is the personal handiwork of the same God who was viciously strung up on a piece of wood.
Yet it is curious how many Christians do not seem to care about being good stewards of God's creation... People who love Jesus should no more destroy the environment that rip to shreds the carefully painted canvas of a best friend. it is nothing but pure blasphemy to disrespect the creative work of God.
When we care for the environment, we show our deep respect for the Creator in much the same way we would admire the work of a great artist in a museum.... When we care about God's handiwork, we demonstrate our love for God. and that speaks volumes to the world.
There is nothing suspicious about loving the environment, but there is something awfully suspicious and wrong about trampling it. Doesn't it make sense that those who personally love the Creator would be the ones to take a personal interest in His handiwork?"

in the book they go on to give some ideas of how to live greener and how to create more beauty from God's creation. Environmental issues are always issues that are talked about. But for some reason it hit home with me when love for creation was equaled with love for God. Maybe because i am realizing that my love for God needs to be expressed in more ways than just singing in church on Sunday morning. Because my love for God is so overwhelming in me at this time, that my mediocre acts of worship that i have done in the past are no longer enough to satisfy this feeling inside me.
In the old testament, King David got so "into" worship that he danced in his skinnies in front of the people of Israel. This is how i feel, and while i am not brave enough to dance in my undies in front of others, i want more of my life to reflect the love that i have for my God and my Saviour.
So me taking an active interest in the environment can be considered my dance and worship to the Lord.

No comments: